• December 6JKB gift card collection for Ronald McDonald House. Drop off during lunches on Tues. & Thurs. in café or rm 203.

• December 6Link Leader yearbook photos on Wed, Dec. 7th during your lunch. Meet by the attendance office.

• December 6Netflix Club will meet Thurs. after school in rm. 42 to watch Disney movies.

• December 6JSA a political debate club meets on Thursdays after school in room 236.

• December 6There will be a girls softball informational meeting Tuesday at 7:20am in room 301.

• December 6There will be a yearbook informational meeting in room 216 Tuesday before OR after school in rm 216.

• December 6Senior Panoramic Photo Wed, Dec. 14th 2nd hour in main gym. Order forms available next week at senior exits & Activities.

• December 6Spring Musical, the Addams Family, auditions & informational workshop on Mon, Dec.12th in the choir room from 3:30-4pm.

• December 6Truth Seekers meets Friday after school in room 207. This is wild card Friday, so bring your own topic.

• December 6Theatre Central will meet this Wednesday after school in the auditorium.

• December 6GEMS will meet Thursday after school in rm. 34. Ms. Eier will talk about engineering at Molex.

• December 6Freshman, join your Link Leaders' “Cocoa & Cram” sessions on Thurs. & next Tues. Meet outside of rm 100.

• December 6Join Mickey Mouse Club before school thru Wednesday in rm. 221 to watch Lilo and Stitch.

• December 6Spanish Club will watch Elf on Tuesday after school in room 102. Bring a snack to share.

• December 6NCHS Show Choir Audition Workshops will be Friday, Dec. 16th 3:30-6pm and Monday, Dec. 19th 3:30-5pm in the Choir Room.

• December 5Holiday Spirit Week – 12th-16th, Mon: Pj Day, Tues: White Out, Wed: Tacky Sweater Day, Thurs: Scarf & Socks, Fri: Candy Cane Day

• December 5TC presents Junie B. Jones in “Jingle Bells Batman Smells” Thurs. 7:30pm and Fri. and Sat. at 8pm. Tickets $5.00 each.

• December 5Holiday Toy Drive ends Dec. 13th. Drop off new toys valued at $10 - $20 in Activities, Main Office, or the Leaning Commons.

Athletic Hall of Fame 2017: Ed Sieben

Julie Park, Profiles Editor

Former Central basketball and track star Ed Sieben was inducted into the Naperville Central Athletic Hall of Fame on Friday.

Though Sieben passed away on Aug. 2, 1966 while serving in Vietnam, his family and former teammate attended the ceremony to honor Sieben and his numerous accomplishments.

An outstanding basketball player in Naperville himself, Sieben’s father coached young Sieben all throughout grade school, as the two began to share a love for the sport.

Linda Sieben Hayes, Sieben’s sister, who was a cheerleader for the basketball team at the time, recalls her brother also continuously breaking the school records.

“Back when they didn’t have the three point shots at the school, he was shooting around 25 or 30 points a game, even with two points per basket he was breaking the records,” Hayes said.

With his tall height at his advantage, Sieben was also on track team and took third place in the state in high jumping at the IHSA state track meet his senior year.

However, as the captain and leading scorer for the 1963 and 1964 conference and regional championship basketball teams, Sieben shot many of the last-minute winning shots.

“I remember at a big district tournament game, Ed made the final shot for the game to win it, so the coach cut the net down from the basket, and gave it to him, and we still have that.”

Hayes and her mother, Ruth Sieben, fondly remember the time Sieben accidentally broke the backboard during a basketball game.

“Back then, they had a glass backboard instead of plastic, and he went to dunk, so when he slammed it, it broke. Hayes said. “When he was killed in Vietnam, people donated money for a memorial fund, and my parents used that money to buy a new scoreboard for the Naperville high school gym.”

“We were trying to find something to do with the money, that Ed was involved with,” Sieben’s mother said.

Sieben’s former teammate, Rich Erickson describes Sieben’s quiet confidence.

“He was undisciplined. He could play hard, and he could really shoot,” Erickson said. “Ed was a quiet guy, but he was always focused, in his own way, Ed was a leader.”

At the end of the interview, Erickson was asked what he believed Ed’s words of advice would be to the teenage audience at Central.

“Ed would say, live your life to the fullest, make every day count,” Erickson said.