Team bonding, success at JSA Fall State Conference

Megan Mehta, Staff Writer

This past weekend, the Naperville Central JSA Chapter headed down to Madison, Wisconsin for their Fall State Conference. Students from many schools across the midwest region, came together to discuss and debate on current political issues.

On Saturday, students came together for a an opening session, a kick – off to the weekend. Then, students could choose what topics they wanted to debate about or just listen in on.  An activism fair was also hosted to encourage members to participate in civic engagement. The fair also encouraged members to get involved with the community. After dinner, students participated in a fun debate, a dance, speed dating, and an open mic session.

“We talked about whether Kanye made Taylor famous, or if memes are a better news source than others.” said JSA member, Shristi Kama.

Some of the political issues discussed were about gun control, economic policy, social policy, parenting, presidency, political spectrum, and teachers.

“There is so much variety and opportunity to learn and experience new things at this convention,” said JSA Chapter President, Colin Jensen. “This is a student – run organization and it is so unique that his convention is planned purely by motivated and creative high school students.”

This conference was also a great way for students to meet new people and voice their opinions in a no – judge zone.

“Fall state was so much fun. I am honestly so glad I was able to go because the trip is so rewarding. Now only do you have lots of fun, you get to meet tons of different people, and you get to voice your opinion and listen to other people’s opinions during debates.” said first – year JSA member Mariam Ansari. .

If you weren’t able to come to this year’s JSA Fall State conference, not to worry! There will be more opportunities. Our JSA chapter also attends the Winter Congress in February, in Washington D.C. and Spring State which happens in April, in Schaumburg.

“Students who want to voice their opinions to create change have a realistic chance of doing so in JSA; we do send legislation to state governments and some have been approved and implemented.” said Jensen. “I have been extremely lucky to have been a part of this club for an unorthodox 4 years even though I’m just a junior.”

If you would like to be more involved in JSA be sure to attend the meetings. They meet every Thursday, from 3:30 – 4:30 pm in room 236.

“People who speak in JSA represent themselves and their own opinions. That’s why I joined” said Kama.