Central to debut blended classes second semester

Lindsey Pruett, Opinions Editor

Starting second semester, Central will take its first steps to integrate new blended learning classes into the curriculum.

This new form of learning will be incorporated in hopes of bridging the gap between regular and online classes and will offer other options for students, according to Jackie Thornton, assistant principal of Central.

In the classes that will be selected for blended learning, a portion of face-to-face teaching will be replaced with online instruction and students will spend an estimated two to three days a week in a classroom, while the remaining days will be used to study online in the Learning Commons or cafeteria.

“It’s not going to be the best thing for everybody, but it’s for the kids that do well in that kind of environment,” John Hayward, teacher-librarian at Central said.

The exact ratio and schedule of days online and days in the classroom will be up to the teacher’s discretion. Currently Central does not have a waiver from the state so students will be required to be in the building during school hours, even on online instruction days.

For the pilot, certain health, algebra 1 and psychology classes will be participating starting January 2016 and because of the timing, Central students won’t have the opportunity to take blended learning classes until after next year.

“Our students haven’t taken as many online classes as we thought so we’re thinking this might be a better compromise,” Carrie McFadden, assistant principal said.

Expanding Learning Opportunities (eLo), Central’s online learning program, was considered too independent and unlike eLo, blended classes will allow a better opportunity to meet the needs of a wider range of students.

For the online aspect of these classes, students will communicate with their teacher and receive their assignments through Canvas.

“It really puts to the test the self directed learners […],” Hayward said. “You conduct what you’re doing in that time and not meeting in a classroom every single day, how do you fill in the 50 minutes and beyond knowing there’s expectations of [assignments] to turn in and check points along the way.”

The hopes of implementing this different learning environment is to better prepare students for college and life beyond. This type of class will also allow students to be more self paced and better manage time.

“Once you get to college you’re really doing almost all of your work independently,” Catherine Gottlieb, library resource director said.

As discussed by Gottlieb, this type of learning will best suit students who are self driven, independent, organized, and have time management skills. This can also suit students who have busy schedules outside of school or high anxiety.

A few changes will be made to accommodate the influx of students who will be using the Learning Commons on online classroom days. Room 16, which is currently used as a classroom for Physical Education, will be open to students in blended classes for studying and to work on group work.

Hayward predicts that blended learning won’t replace traditional education and instead, this style of learning will be a better option to explore.