17 DECA members qualify for nationals after state competition

Alison Pfaff, News Editor

The team poses for a picture at the state competition.

Of the many students that  participate in DECA at Naperville Central, 17 qualified for the national competition, the highest number in Central DECA history. DECA (Distributive Education Clubs of America) members qualified at state for the DECA International Career Conference held in Orlando, Florida.

Students in DECA compete in different marketing events with simulations of real world business issues that the students solve and present to a judge. Senior Heidi Hannenberg is a qualifier for the national competition.

Hannenberg, who has been a DECA member for two years, qualified for nationals after receiving 4th place in Apparel and Accessories management at the State DECA competition.

Hannenberg explained what she is looking forward to when attending the conference.

“For nationals, I’m excited to compete with people from across the country and even around the world!” Hannenberg said.  “And of course, we will be in Florida so that’s a plus too.”

Along with Apparel and Accessories Management, there are other events such as Principles of Finance, Travel and Tourism Team Decision Making and Accounting Applications. Events are either team or individually completed.

National qualifiers will travel to Florida on April 25-29.

IMG_3630-1
Central’s DECA officers raise the signature hand sign.

The following is the list of all students who qualified for the DECA International Career Development Conference:

Alec Bakker

Ashlyn Bell

Madison Cahan

Autumn Eipers

Heidi Hannenberg

Joe Kallikadan

James Kaeppel

Ellery Kemner

Gloria Korpas

Sara Legg

Paige Leyden

Emily Miller

Casey Novak

Akshay Punukollu

Drew Quiriconi

Amanda Shumacher

Maneesh Somisetty