Redhawk of the Week: Senior Catherine Chang

Maya Fenter, Front Page Editor

Catherine Chang
Photo courtesy of Catherine Chang

Q: What extra-curricular activities do you participate in?

A: UAC (Urban Arts Club), DECA, BPA (Business Professionals of America) and Senior Class Council.

Q: How have these activities impacted your high school career?

A: UAC and DECA helped me be more organized. UAC also helped me gain a lot more friends and find a big group of people to hang out with. DECA didn’t really impact my high school career, but it helped me realize what I wanted to do in the future.

Q: Have you had any major setbacks or difficulties during high school?

A: Time management is definitely one of the hardest things to do in high school because you have all these different clubs, but at the same time you have to keep your grades up, and then you have a social life. To learn how to balance all that is difficult. Especially junior year you have the ACT to [prepare] for and it’s rough, but you get through it.

Q: How did you overcome these challenges?

A: I did have to give up some stuff junior year to focus on what was more important, which in that case was the ACT. Then senior year, I had to give up working to do college [applications] because those were important too. So just understanding what your priorities are and organizing your time around that.

Q: What do you like to do in  your free time?

A: Netflix. Lots of Netflix. [Also] listen to music, eat, sleep and dance.

Q: What is the most important thing you’ve learned throughout high school?

A: Be yourself. Once you’re yourself, the people who like you for you will just come to you and you don’t really have to try. Everything will come around; if it’s gonna happen, it’s gonna happen.

Q: What would you like to tell your freshman self?

A: I would tell my freshman self to tell myself throughout the years of high school to go to school because I miss a lot of school and then it’s a lot of catching up before the tests and it’s just too much. Second, I would tell myself to join UAC freshman year.

Q: If you had a message to share with everyone, what would it be?

A: Enjoy it while it lasts because things are going to change and you never know what’s going to happen tomorrow. Live every single day like it’s your last.