Q & A with Brian Griffith, new permanent substitute teacher

Catt Kim, Managing Editor

Brian Griffith is the new permanent substitute teacher at Central.

Q: How many different subjects have you subbed for?

A: I can’t even count how many subjects I’ve subbed in for so far, pretty much all of them. In one day I’ve subbed in a culinary class, a chemistry class and also a health class. So it just varies.

Q: How often do you have a class to teach?

A: That also varies. Most days, on average, I’m in five to six classes. Some days I’ll only have one period free for lunch and every other period I’m busy, some days I might only be teaching one period.

Q: What do you do at the school when you’re not teaching?

A: I meander around, but I also like to read. I just got done with “Gone Girl.” I read “The 5th Wave,” and then the sequel to “The 5th Wave.” I also just browse tons of news websites. I do like to play with Charlie [the puppy].

Q: Where did you grow up and what schools did you attend?

A: I grew up in Naperville. I attended Neuqua Valley High School, and I graduated from there in 2009.  I just recently graduated from Illinois State University.

Q: What were you involved with in high school and college?

A: When I was in high school I ran, primarily, track and cross country. And then I did that in college for the first two years as well. The last few years I pretty much focused on my studies.

Q: What was your favorite memory from school?

A: I feel like high school is more of a blank slate, and you can get involved in as many different things as possible. Also you’re in close contact with kids your age, so you get to hang out with a lot of different groups of people. So I think my favorite memory is just being able to interact with people from many different backgrounds. And then when I was in school at ISU I think some of my favorite memories were the different opportunities with the different schools I got to work with in Normal. My [major] department, the health department, presented us with a lot of research opportunities that I definitely enjoyed.

Q: What did you want to be when you were a little kid?

A: I did know I wanted to be a health teacher when I was a sophomore in high school.  It was pretty much because [of my health class], I had a blast. I think when I was even younger, when I was a kid, I probably wanted to grow up to be a cop, because that’s what my father had been.

Q: What’s different between Neuqua and Central?

A: I really like the integration of the freshman in the building. I know that’s not unique to any other high school, but when I went to high school the freshmen were kept separate. So when I’m in a class that has freshmen, sophomores [and] juniors, I think that’s real nice. Another things I notice is that in the LINK program they have junior leaders, so that gives the freshmen someone to look up to the following year. In our [version of LINK], Advisory, freshmen were paired with a senior, which is nice for the year, but when the senior graduated it didn’t continue on at all. So that separated the classes a whole lot more, having the freshmen in the freshmen [building] the first year, and it made for a rough time integrating with the other students.

IMG_6982Q: After growing up, have you ever wanted to leave Naperville?

A: It’s always in the back of my head. [Ever since] late in high school you think you’re gonna go out of state and then when you get in college and if you find yourself still in state then you think “Maybe I’ll get a job out of state.” But then you get a job here in Illinois, it’s kind of in the back of your head. But it would definitely be a big step especially since a lot of my family is still here.

Q: What is your favorite part of working at Central?

A: The kids. The students are really great to work with. It’s good knowing stepping into classrooms that the kids, for the most part, are really well behaved, have a good sense of humor, are very light hearted, and I can see that most people also bond together, as well.

Q: What else are you involved in here at Central?

I am actually going to be an Assistant boys’ Track Coach starting [in] January. Right now as it stands I’m going to help out with sprints, triple and long jump. I was a mid-distance distance runner [in high school and college].

Q: What is your piece of advice to high school students?

A: Do things with an open mind, you never know what you might like, who you might run into, who you might be friends with that you’ve never talked to before. Just do everything with an open mind and a positive attitude.