Students merge two clubs to form new feminist club, LIFE

Sharon Pan, Online Managing Editor

Naperville Central students, both male and female, have joined together to create a new feminist club, named Leading and Inspiring Female Empowerment (LIFE) Club to “a make a change and show what feminism is,” according to freshman Peyton Heinze.

Seniors Vanaja Pernankil and Hannah Bollinger and freshmen Lauren Carrier and Heinze applied separately for two clubs, but due to their similar theme, they merged into one club.

Thus LIFE Club is sectioned in two, one for fundraising/awareness and the other for informing students about feminism.

“One portion is focused on raising funds and awareness for issues internationally and domestically affecting women,” Pernankil said. “The other section focuses on educating about certain issues and feminism and what it is and entails.”

Meetings will be held depending on each section. The fundraising/awareness section will meet every Monday morning in Room 209, and the education, Monday afternoon in the same location. Members of both sections will meet in a combined meeting on the first Monday morning of the month. The club is sponsored by science teacher Crystal Griffith.

All members are welcome, and even male students have joined.

“I feel very passionate about feminism because it really ties into what I care about, like human and LGBT rights,” senior Chris Schnecke said. “[These rights] all really tie together.”