Culinary Club bakes seasonal treats

Freja Sonnichsen, Staff Photographer

A smell of pumpkin and cinnamon flows through Room 89 as the culinary club bakes seasonal treats for this month’s baking session. F.A.C.S. teachers Samantha Szopinski and Terri Rorer, this year’s sponsors, say they enjoy leading the club.

“It’s fun to do a club based on what I teach,” Szopinski said. “The cool thing is that we get to meet new kids who have a love for cooking as well.”

Culinary Club, which consists mostly of freshmen girls, meets on a monthly basis. What will be baked depends on the season and suggestions from club members.

“So far we have only had two meets, but I imagine we will be baking holiday cookies when Christmas time comes,” Szopinski said. “I find a lot of fun inspiration on Pinterest too.”

Freshmen Alexia Haeuser recently joined the club because of her love for cooking.

“I joined because I love to cook and wanted to cook with my friends,” Haeuser said. “The best part is seeing and tasting the finished product though.”

While the club is keeping it low key with easier recipes, Szopinski and Rorer are considering developing the club more next year with more advanced recipes, as club members get more experience.

For more information about Culinary Club, students can contact either Szopinski or Rorer.