AP Studio Art students paint train sculptures for charity

Photo courtesy of Chris Hodge

Alison Pfaff, News Editor

Two train sculptures painted by Naperville Central AP Studio Art students will be displayed in Downtown Naperville. They are part of a total of 15 trains sponsored by various organizations and painted by artists that will be displayed around the downtown area during the holiday season. Central has been participating in the holiday sculpture painting for a number of years now.

“We chose two [organizations], but there were even more places that wanted us to [decorate the sculptures],” Central art teacher Daniela Cirone said.

This year, Central students were given two trains: one by Naperville Country Club and another by United Way. United Way is an organization that helps children and families with education, health and income.

“With United Way, the students all competed with their designs, and then [the organization] chose the best one,” art teacher Chris Hodge said.

Senior Esther Lu’s design was chosen by United Way and was based off of the children’s book “The Giving Tree,” by Shel Silverstein.

After this was chosen, Lu, along with other student artists, began to put her plan into action. This group included seniors Leah George, Diane Gayleyl Katrina Weiland, Chloe Insley, Lisa Qi and junior Priscilla Hong.

“We painted the whole thing light blue first, and made a gradient in the sky,” Gayley said. “We started painting [on the] seat that was like a [tree] trunk.”

The Naperville Country Club, on the other hand, picked a Polar Express theme out before informing the students.

Seniors Elizabeth Ha and Kian Krashesky helped paint the Polar Express train along with juniors Andrea Lin, Yue Ren and sophomore Adel Wu.

Specific modifications were done to the train before Central students received it to enhance its presence when displayed.

“They had already painted it black, put a roof on it and also solar panels so it can have lights, which is really cool,” Ha said.

This is the third year the Downtown Naperville Alliance has displayed sculptures during winter months. Last year, the theme was gingerbread men.

The Central student’s work, along with the other 13 trains, will be displayed in Downtown Naperville starting on Nov. 7.