“The Biggest Loser” – When weight loss goes too far

The most recent winner of the popular TV show “Biggest Loser”, Rachel Frederickson lost 155 pounds in just seven months. Some are wondering if losing this much weight this fast is unhealthy and dangerous. (Photo source: eonline.com)

Body image is a large issue in today’s society. With models getting thinner by the day and anxiety levels in teens rising, eating disorders are thought of as a common occurrence for teens.

The most recent “The Biggest Loser” winner, 24-year-old Rachel Frederickson, dropped 155 pounds, from 260 pounds to 105 pounds, over the course of seven months, a fact that many find to be both astonishing and worrisome. Additionally, Frederickson is currently below the National Institute of Health’s “healthy” body mass index for her height (5’4”) and age.

Personally, Frederickson’s weight loss seems a bit dramatic and unhealthy to me, given the short amount of time she lost the weight in and given her current, unnaturally low weight. However, I am not a doctor or nutritionist so I can’t say for sure if her diet and exercise plan are healthy.

Another concern of mine is that Frederickson serves as a role model for others who may be overweight or uncomfortable in their own skin. Not everyone is able to lose as much weight as she was, despite exercising frequently and consuming only healthy foods, and others may feel defeated when comparing their progress with Frederickson’s.

Frederickson told reporters during a media conference call after her “Biggest Loser” win that she “officially found that proud, confident girl” she had lost. After being unhappy with her weight for so long, looking in the mirror to see a thin, fit woman probably feels good. However, Frederickson is already at a low weight for her height, so losing any more weight would be dangerous and could raise health concerns.

I have heard that losing weight can become an obsession and therefore can be extremely dangerous. My only hope would be that Frederickson is still consulting with a dietician or health coach to ensure that her diet and workout plan are healthy.