District 203 to revamp science curriculum

Alison Pfaff, Staff Writer

District 203’s science curriculum will be adapting to the Next Generation Science Standards (NGSS) in the next few years. Currently, high school students in District 203 have many options for science classes and get to choose what class they want to take year to year. For example, at Central, sophomore students can take either a biology or a chemistry course. This causes students to have different experiences for science classes.

With the new standards, each school year will have a set path. Freshmen will start with chemistry, sophomore year will follow with a biology course and in junior year students will take a physics course. There are both honors and regular courses offered all three years. Senior year, students have the choice of taking either an AP class or an elective in science.

“The first step in the changes will be to offer Chemistry to all freshman students,” Katherine Seguino, Central’s Science Department chair, said. “This will allow all students entering high school an opportunity to begin with a physical science course and give all students similar experiences so they can have the same course selections available as they move year to year.”

The high school science curriculum isn’t the only one that will be revamped.

“The middle school curriculum will be redesigned to make sure students at all middle schools have similar science experiences and have had opportunities to explore the engineering and scientific practices outlined by the NGSS,” Seguino said.

According to Seguino, some students do not have the same background that other students do in science. The new pathway District 203 is taking will make sure that all students receive the same science education.

“The classes will be more focused on practices of science and engineering and allow students to be creative problem solvers,” Seguino said. This new plan will immerse students into science and will allow students to have a better understanding of science fundamentals.