Show Choir takes stage

Virginia Aabram, Head News Editor

A show choir club will be making its debut this spring. There have been previous unsuccessful attempts to get the club off the ground, but with coordination help from Student Activities Special Event Coordinator Katie Long-Piper, the club plans to start rehearsals this spring.

“We’ve been trying to start a show choir for years, it was just a matter of finding somebody [to direct] and the space to have rehearsals,” Long-Piper said. “Now we think we’ve found a group of people who will give us some longevity to get it going to where we want it to go.”

Long-Piper worked to find a permanent director after last year’s attempt to start the club didn’t work out due to scheduling conflicts with the temporary director.  She has since found someone from the School of Performing Arts to fill the job.

There are 18 students interested in joining, according to Long-Piper. Show choir deviates from regular choir in that it is a more comprehensive performance that relies on choreography and costumes along with the music.

“Show choir does a lot of pop music, so it’s different from regular choir where you’re doing your standards,” Long-Piper said. “And it’s movement, it’s dancing, singing and performing all at the same time. So it’s a lot of stage movement instead of just standing and singing. There’s a lot more energy and a lot more excitement in show choir.”

Naperville North has long been known for their excellent show choir, which was cited as the inspiration for the Central show choir, but by no means the standard to meet. Participants at North commit large amounts of time and money to participate in their award-winning show choir.

“In the past four years we have started competing and have since then won Grand Championships in female and coed divisions of show choir,” said Abby Stevenson, a senior at North. “We have had major success in recruiting students who have a passion [for] the art.”

Sarah Beste, a Central senior, was glad to have a chance to join show choir at the end of her high school career.

“I decided to join because I really like being involved in as many music-related activities as I can, and I thought it would be really fun to sing and dance to songs